Friday 26 November 2010

Design Research Methods: 20/20 Presentation Outline

Orginally, I find this task very clever because as I know all the designers collects something, posters, flyers or interesting objects. However I am an organization freak, I don't like pile of books or objects around my working space, so I simply don't collect any items to keep my room clean and tidy. Therefore I couldn't came any ideas about this Authorship and Collections task, until Peter gave me the best idea. It shouldn't be something physical, it can be virtual. Thus I have been collecting movie posters on my hard drives since I was a small child. I have always like watching trailers more than movies and the way that the posters communicates with the audience just for one minute for a two hours of movies just amazes me. So I flick through some of the movies and posters I like and try to make a list of them for the outline of my presentation.
If you look close enough you can notice that just like everything else movie posters also have trends and fashions. Therefore I didn't want to go all the way back to really old movie posters. However I feel the need to give place to big artists like Saul Bass or Bill Gold which I really admire. I will pick twenty of the posters among this list I created chronologically:

The Man With The Golden Arm - 1955 
Director: Otto Preminger - Genre: Drama - Design: Saul Bass
Vertigo - 1958
Director: Alfred Hitchcock - Genre: Crime, Mystery, Romance - Design: Saul Bass
A Clockwork Orange - 1971
Director: Stanley Kubric - Genre: Crime, Drama, Sci-Fi - Design: Bill Gold
Blade Runner - 1982
Director: Ridley Scott - Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi - Design: Intralink Film Graphic Design - Artwork: John Alvin
Ed Wood - 1994
Director: Tim Burton - Genre: Biographical, Comedy, Drama
American Beauty - 1999
Director: Sam Mendes - Genre: Drama - Design: Pulse Advertising
Ocean's Eleven - 2001
Director: Steven Soderbergh - Genre: Action, Crime - Design: Neville Brody
Donnie Darko - 2001
Director: Richard Kelly - Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi - Design: KO Creative
Artificial Intelligence: A.I. - 2001
Director: Steven Spielberg - Genre: Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi - Design: Intralink Film Graphic Design
Sin City - 2005
Director: Frank Miller - Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller - Design: BLT & Associates
Les Chansons D'Amour (Love Songs) - 2007
Director: Christopher Honore - Genre: Drama, Musical, Romance - Design: All City Media
The Cake Eaters - 2007
Director: Mary Stuart Masterson - Genre: Drama, Romance - Design: Gravillis Inc.
Doubt - 2008
Director: John Patric Shanley - Genre: Drama, Mystery - Design: BLT & Associations
True Blood (TV Series) - 2008
Creator: Allan Ball - Genre: Fantasy, Drama - Design: Bemis Balkind
Valkyrie - 2008
Director: Bryan Singer - Genre: Drama, History, Thriller - Design: BLT & Associates
Precious - 2009
Director: Lee Daniels - Genre: Drama - Design: Ignition Creative
Watchmen - 2009
Director: Zack Snyder - Genre: Action, Crime, Fantasy - Design: Mojo Design Agency
Soul Kitchen - 2009
Director: Fatih Akin - Genre: Comedy
With Love From Paris - 2010
Director: Pierre Morel - Genre: Action, Crime - Design: Ignition Creative
For Colored Girls - 2010
Director: Tyler Perry - Genre: Drama - Design: Ignition Creative
Another Year - 2010
Director: Mike Leigh - Genre: Comedy, Drama, Design: All City Media

No comments:

Post a Comment