Sunday 3 October 2010

Greetings from a recent Brit: Story of my inspirations


Slimane's new book: "London Birth of a Cult"  

Even through it's harder to impress myself like that, I am gonna keep this blog in English. So sorry about my lack of grammar skills. I want my fist posting to be about the big artists and designers that impressed me for many years and I want to pay my respects to them. So I'm gonna write about my muses, images that impress me. Inspiration is a extremely important for designers because design born from the subconscious images that you have collected blindly. You just put another brick to the wall that has been building since the beginning of human kind. I've started to interested in design because of fashion, Oscar de la Renta, Yves saint Laurent, John Galliano always fascinate me with their style. 
 
But there is one designer that has a different voice, glamours me was Hedi Slimane. His innovative touch on suits make them very different and asexual. His unlike design perspective also reflects on his blog and all the other things he do. He is the man responsible for the way rock 'n' roll looks today. His slim-line aesthetic, a cross between sleek and slacker, mod and 1980s punk, is everywhere — on David Bowie, Beck, Elton John, Bryan Ferry, Jake Shears of the Scissor Sisters, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand. Birth of a Cult focuses on the most iconic character within this heady milieu. The project began with Slimane’s video piece (shown at Galerie Almine Rech, Paris, Sept. 2004) a study of Pete Doherty and his new band, Babyshambles. Slimane started documenting Doherty when Doherty had just completed the second Libertines album and was then kicked out of the band for crack addiction. Babyshambles created an immediate sensation and a loyal following. Most of their performances have been ‘guerilla gigs’, irregular or unplanned events which have always generated enormous fervour and excitement and which on occasion have degenerated into riot. Between jail, crack addiction and tabloid coverage, Doherty’s public persona has been distorted and manipulated. This has failed to hide that fact that he is a truly original musician, a charismatic frontman, songwriter and performer, and an authentic poet of our times. Birth of a Cult is about music, and poetry, and is also a perfect example to combining arts.

Slimane's multi-disciplinary works make me believe that if I can be a good graphic designer I can use my graphic skills in every field of design. So I started to take pictures, sketch and observe great artists and of course the world. After many years, I am quiet happy about my choice on occupation and still inspired by Slimane...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment